Monday, May 24, 2010

Rhubarb Apple Pie

Since rhubarb is also in season, I bought some last week just to see what I could do with it. Apparently rhubarb goes well with strawberries, since I found a lot of interesting recipes that pair them. Though for simplicity I just went with apples this time.
Since my dinner guest was 'watching the waistline', I ended up eating this entire pie in 4 days by myself. Great. It makes a great breakfast though ;)

pie crust
500 grams rhubarb, chopped
4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
2 tbs lemon juice
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup flour
4 tbs butter
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg

1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Bake the pie crust for 12-15 minutes until golden.
2. Mix the rhubarb, apple, sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, lemon juice, and corn starch thoroughly in a large bowl.
3. Pour rhubarb mixture into the pie crust.
4. Mix walnuts, flour, butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl with hands until a coarse crumbly mixture is attained.
5. Sprinkle the crumbles over the entire pie and bake for 45 minutes.
6. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Good with vanilla or strawberry icecream!

1 comment:

  1. I reached this blog by accident, but I found very interesting. Greetings to all visitors to this page.

    ReplyDelete