Thursday, May 6, 2010

Curried fish soup (Me ga thi)

This soup is inspired by something from Laos though I think it's pale in comparison in both heat and lime-ishness. Yes, I said lime-ishness. Spell check can stick it where the sun don't shine.


2 large onions, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 gloves garlic, crushed
2'' piece of fresh ginger, peele and finely diced
2 tbs peanut oil
1 vegetable boullion cube
2 tbs yellow curry
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
4-5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
100 grams white fish (I used frozen Alaskan Pollock)
1/2- 1 cup coconut milk
handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
handful of fresh coriander, chopped roughly
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the garlic, onion, ginger and spices and fry on medium high until the onions are translucent and the spices are aromatic.
2. Add 4 cups of water, the coconut milk, and vegetable bullion cube and turn heat down to simmer.
3. Add celery, potatoes, carrots and fish and return to a low boil. Heat until potatoes and carrots are tender. I used frozen fish, so I put the whole filets in the broth and once cooked, the filets were easily flaked apart.
4. Add tomatoes and coriander just before serving.


Ok, so the tomatoes and potatoes aren't really Laos, but I needed to use these potatoes finally and I didn't have any lime on hand, so I used the tomatoes for a little acidity. For me it didn't quite hit the spot, and next time I'll just go out and get some lime. For this I was just happy to be able to use what I had already laying around.
Cleaning out my fridge after Vappu means I have a few veggies left (including asparagus which is finally in season :) a half bottle of whiskey and a bottle of sparkling wine.... Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment