Saturday, May 1, 2010

Madras Curry

When it comes to curry, I prefer it really spicy. After all, I'm a McCormick (or, according to the building admin on my door and post box: McCorimick). The yellow Thai curry is nice, but it's mild for me. Store bought versions of curry in Finland tend to be mild, but I did manage to find this premade Madras from one of the African/Indian grocers on Hämeentie. It says 'Medium/Hot' on it, but I was skeptical, because these things are always more mild than they say. But in fact, I was pleasantly surprised.
To make a Madras sauce isn't that hard to do, but you need a lot of spices. Some of which include mustard, coriander, cumin, chilli, garlic, ginger, and curry.

Since I started with the sauce premade, and the sauce was pretty strongly flavored and spicy, I mixed about 1 cup of the premade sauce with 1 can tomatoes. The other ingredients consisted of those things which I had already and thought might work in any curry.

  • 1 onion

  • 1 green bell pepper

  • 200 grams chopped cauliflower

  • 2 tbs peanut oil
I sauteed first a little extra crushed garlic in the peanut oil, added the vegetables and stirred on medium heat until softened, then added the sauces and allowed to simmer on low for about another half an hour. Easy as that.

This will be served to a cucumber-hating dinner guest later. Why would I deign to dine with a cucumber-hater, you might ask? Well, all my kitten-hating friends were busy that night. Let's see if he believes I made the madras sauce myself from scratch. I'll have to hide the jar in the back of my 'fridge. Doesn't hurt that I made my own naan bread though.

No comments:

Post a Comment