Saturday, May 8, 2010

Asparagus & Zucchini Crudi

For being so simple, this is one of the best, freshest things I've eaten in a while. I was inspired to make this because asparagus is finally in season (thus affordable) and from some recent discussions I've been having with my friend F about raw food diets. Ok so this isn't technically all raw, of course with a little parmesan and olive oil, but it ups the flavor immensely and is at least a way to get into raw foods gradually. This is something I've meant to get into a bit more, in fact, though I admit I probably wouldn't last long with this, as I love to bake and don't even have a food processor.

Though I was skeptical about raw asparagus, the original recipe is from one of my favorite TV-star chefs, Giada de Laurentiis. I love her show because she's always doing something fresh, simple and healthy.

1 zucchini, washed and cut into strips with a vegetable peeler
4-6 stalks of fresh asparagus, cut thinly on the diagonal
shaved parmesan for garnish
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Toss these ingredients together and serve immediately. Some reviews from Giada's page said that if you let it sit too long the zucchini gets a bit soggy. Since this is a scaled down recipe, it only serves about 2 as a side (or 1 for my lunch ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment