Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Asian Spicy Sweet Mustard Salad Dressing

With ready salad greens and a random assortment of veggies in the fridge you can make any salad in no time. If you haven't planned the perfect salad, any veggies will do, though then there's more emphasis needed on a good salad dressing.
I used a mixture of readied greens that was mostly rucola and spinach leaves (plus this pretty looking kind with red veins which I couldn't find out the name in English for- in Finnish it's punamangoldi) The rest of the ingredients were chopped red cabbage, red onion, tomatoes, and bean sprouts. I refrained from over complicating this one- as fridge veggies go I could have also added cucumber, carrots, beets, avocado, celery, just to name a few (I think I have an assortment from the whole vegetable section of my grocery store in my fridge).
Now for the dressing, I wanted to make something Asian inspired to go with the shrimp egg rolls I was serving. From enough Chinese food experiments, I happened to have these ingredients already on hand, but if you don't already have them, go make the investment from your local asian market. I really recomment. None of it goes bad for a long time and you will find other occassions to use them that really give authenticity and flavor to your other recipes:

This will make enough for 4 servings only- you can double the recipe if you need, but it's so fast to make that I just whip it up whenever I'm in the mood. Balsalmico and olive oil are my typical standbys;

3 tbs rice wine vinegar (sushi vinegar)
1 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
4 tbs vegetable oil
2 tbs prepared mustard (I like to use a very spicy one, but honey mustard or dijon will also work)
1 tsp sugar or honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Chinese 5-spice blend

Put all of the ingredients into a tupperware, seal the lid on top. Shake well until well combined (over the sink if your tupperware lids aren't fitting well). These ingredient porportions can, of course be tweaked to your personal preferences


No comments:

Post a Comment