Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Penang 'Duck' Curry

Another from 'Travels with Thai Food', I was so excited browsing this book looking for ways to use all these fresh green beans when I found this recipe and thought to myself, I have a can of mock duck in my pantry that I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to use. This is it.

I used again a paste of Penang Red Curry Paste (the small tub I bought from the Asian market lasts a long time). This was so quick and easy but looked elegant and tasted divine. This serves 2 but it could have easily been increased by using more green beans and grapes (1 can of 'duck' is a lot for just 2 servings in the end- then again I'm not much of a 'meat' eater)

1 cup coconut milk
3 tbs red curry paste
2 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs sugar (or palm sugar if you have it)
1 can mock duck (or a whole Chinese roast duck, knock yourself out)
1 large fresh red chilli
1/4 cup crushed cashews
6 Kaffir lime leaves
250 grams green beans, trimmed and washed
basil
1/2 cup seedless red grapes, halved with stems removed

1.) Mix the coconut milk and curry paste in a wok or frying pan and heat on high.
2.) Add the fish sauce, lime leaves and sugar, cook for another few minutes.
3.) Add the duck, chilli and green beans and heat through.
4.) Add the grapes and basil just moments before serving. They are best not overcooked.
5.) Sprinkle the cashews over the duck and serve with jasmine rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment