Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mac 'N' Cheese


So a planned fondue night never happened. Too many people out of town or sick or.... well it doesn't matter. But the fact is, that I had so much cheese in my fridge from a long over due 'fondue fundue' night, that I wanted to find a new way to use it.

After a long summer of over indulgence and laziness, debauchery, rowdiness, long nights out admiring the midnight sun, music, frisbess golf, beaching it, boozing it, too little exercise, excess in all the wrong places, basking in the unadulterated bliss that is living in a flat without roomates, without responsibility and basically reverting back to my freshman in college days (sans dorm living and video games), it is time that I say enough is enough.

The nights are cooling, and in mid-August in Helsinki, it is apparent that fall is soon upon us. In Helsinki that means, back to school, classes, student parties, more gigs for me at the Fair Center, rain, darkness, and did I mention, cold weather? Some of these aspects are fresh and exciting. The start of a new season means the start of a new impetus for change. Change in direction, change in possibilities, change in dress, change in seasonal foods (Brussels sprouts are coming soon!) and change in diet.

I've recently decided to try a vegan diet for some time. I won't be surprised if it doesn't last very long. I know this doesn't sound like I have a lot of faith and commitment to this, but the truth is that I've gone vegan several times and never with the intent on permanence. I believe in many facets of a vegan lifestyle and greatly admire those that choose to adhere to these rather strict principles, but I know myself well enough to know that this is just not something that ultimately fulfills my need to champion a cause. If I champion a cause it is in self discovery, and I've already discovered that the vegan thing doesn't stick to me very long.

However, I've chosen, and with that in mind, it's time to purge my refrigerator (also for my impending and dangerously close move). I won't throw food out just because of my recent decision. Worse than indulgence and excess is wastefulness, in my opinion. Cheese is something I love to indulge in. I love cheese of all kinds, smelly, sharp, soft, curded, peppered, holey... you name it. But let's face it, it's not exactly health food. It is, however, comfort food. And with that in mind, to ease the sense of failure after a fizzled fondue party, I indulged in some television and Mac N Cheese making.

2 cups dry macaroni or other small pasta (I used spirals)
1/3 cup butter
1 onion, finely diced
3 tablespoons of plain flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons of prepared yellow mustard
2 cups grated cheese (I used a 50/50 mixture of guyere and swiss, though many recipes suggest cheddar if it is available)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs

1.) Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente (this means 'slightly undercooked' for those of you not familiar with Italian ;) Drain and set aside.
2.) Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
3.) Stir in the flour gradually, mixing well.
4.) Take off the heat and stir in the milk gradually. Return to heat and stir as it thickens, several minutes.
5.) Lower the heat and stir in 3/4s of the cheese, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
6.) Mix the pasta and cheese sauce well. Spoon into a buttered, oven safe dish. Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs (I also sprinkled some paprika on)
7.) Bake at 180C for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment