Thursday, April 15, 2010

Yellow Tomato Salsa over a Smokey Quesadilla



I love these cute little yellow 'cherry' tomatoes, because they're so colorful and they have a nice sweet tanginess that reds don't. Problem is, what to do with them? These are a relatively new food commodity to me, so I am hesitant to do too much experimentation until I start to have a taste for them. So for this recipe, I adapted something from one of my favorite food blogs, the Gluen Free Goddess, for a tasty roasted salsa recipe. This woman's a great writer, photographer, and obviously she must be a pretty good cook. If she were vegetarian, I'd be down-right devoted. For anyone out there who's a celiac, I highly recommend.

Making the salsa was so easy because there's really only two steps: chop all the ingredients, and put them in the oven to roast.

  • 1 kg yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 large red onion, diced
  • 1 cup canned sweet corn
  • 2-4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • salt
  • 3 tbs olive oil
  • 3 tbs dry white wine
  1. Preheat oven to 200C.
  2. Toss all ingredients together.
  3. Bake for about 35 minutes, stirring once half way through, until tomatoes are becoming slightly browned.
Enjoy chilled with chips, or on a quesadilla. I recommend with smoked cheese, it goes well with the roasted flavor. If you like cilantro, chop some fresh and mix with the salsa when it's cool. Otherwise you can use some other fresh herb. I used parsely.

No comments:

Post a Comment