Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pesto Pasta Salad

I have recently developed a true love for pesto. Well, I guess I've always liked it. But now I sense some kind of cravings for pesto that I never knew before. Being that I am without any kind of blender, food processor or the like, making pesto on a regular basis is difficult. Not impossible, of course- rustic pestos can be made with simply pestle and mortar. Check out these fabulous variations of homemade pesto.

For this recipe you can feel free to make your own pesto, but I am taking shortcuts recently. Anyway, a girl's gotta have a life outside of school and cooking, so premade pesto it is.


  • 1/4 cup basil pesto of your choice

  • 1 lb pasta, such as shells, orecchiett or cappelli (as I used here)

  • olive oil

  • small jar of capers, drained

  • 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered

  • 2 cloves garlic

  • 200 grams asparagus, thick parts removed, boiled until al dente

  • 2 tablespoons balsalmic vinegar

  • a couple handfuls of arugula

  • parmesan to garnish

  1. Boil the asparagus until al dente. I like to chop the asparagus in half and put the thicker bottom half in first for a few minutes and then the tops so that all parts are equally cooked at the same time. Drain, and save the water for boiling the pasta.

  2. While the pasta is cooking (to instructions on the package), heat some olive oil in a sauce pan. Add the capers and garlic and fry for several minutes until fragrant.  Drain the asparagus and add to the pan.

  3. Drain the pasta, and add to a large salad bowl. Toss with the pesto to coat.

  4. Add the hot caper, garlic, and asparagus mixture.

  5. Add the arugula and the tomatoes and toss together. Sprinkle with parmesan.

  6. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment