Friday, April 2, 2010

Omelet #1

I love making omelets, although I rarely follow any recipe. I just use what I have around or what I'm in the mood for. I remember at Towson University, the cafeteria hired a guy stationed at an omelet wok where you could tell exactly what ingredients to throw in, out of a dozen options. What a luxury. I also remember those omelet making guys, because they were on the furlough program at the local county jail and were released for work purposes only. Needless to say we became quickly friends with the omelet guys, and they visited our dorms for lengthy video game playing sessions on numerous occassions. Characters! Really, though, nice guys.

For this omelet I wanted to use some of the canned corn, and chives, and the leftover yellow-tomatoe sauce from the day before. Yellow tomatoes definitely have a tangy taste compared to their red cousins, but it was bright and refreshing in this omelet.

  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbs corn from the can or fresh
  • fresh diced chives
  • 3 tbs yellow tomatoe sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • red pepper flakes (optional)
  • shredded guyere or cheddar cheese (optional)

I like to cook the ingredients first, sauteeing the corn and chives first. Then I whisked together the eggs and sauce, salt and pepper, and poured the mixture over top the vegetables. I have a very conveniently small, non-stick skillet which is perfect for omelet making. I like then to turn down the heat to medium low so that the omelet doesn't cook too fast on the bottom. I lift the edges with my spatula and allow the runny egg mixture to flow underneath so that it gets cooked almost in entirety. Then I flip with masterful skill that comes from years of practice of making omelets! The other side only needs about 30 seconds or so, because mostly the eggs are already cooked. Sprinkle cheese in the middle if you desire (guyere or cheddar would be tasty with this combination) and then fold in half.

Here I have eaten it as part of a wholesome, low-carb breakfast, with juice, coffee and grapefruit. It's nice to take care of myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment