Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Madal Ravintola

Saturday, some friends and I went to a new little restaurant in Kuurvi, Sörnäinen (Kulmavuorenkatu 4) called Madal for lunch. For a little restaurant in Sörnäinen, this place was pretty upscale, with a long menu, a wine list, and both domestic and Nepalese beers to choose from. I've tried the Nepalese beer, Gorkha, at another restaurant in Kamppi, called Pikku Nepal, and I'm not wildly impressed. Somehow there is a nice bitter after bite to it, but otherwise I prefer just regular old 'kotimainen,' domestic Karjala. (Never thought I would say that!) It makes me miss Fordham's Copperhead Ale from Ram's Head in Annapolis....

I ordered the Madal salad with king prawns (ok that's what normal shrimp are called in Finland, and if you ask for 'katkarapu' you'll get a tiny version of regular shrimp) By the time the food came, I was really hungry- the wait was about 30 minutes for the food, but it was worth it.


The boys all got some kind of lamb, beef or chicken, but the girls' table went veggie. M and A both had the paneer (soft homemade cheese) in a red curry sauce.

I would recommend this place to anyone that likes good Indian or Nepalese food, but wants something a little more fancy, for a date or special outing. The portions were modest, but the flavour, presentation and service from this restaurant were outstanding. Also, the restaurant has a lunch buffet with 3-4 choices before 3PM for only 8,50e. I'll have to check that out some other time.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Never to forget the nepali ''burfi'' at desserts...Reminded me childhood back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you McMeg.
    It means a lot to us( Young graduates from Haaga-Helia AMK, and will definetely motivate us to provide more positive experiences.
    Hope to see you agian and wish to be introduce with you.

    Greetings.
    Bipin shrestha
    www.ravintolamadal.com

    ReplyDelete