Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Zucchini Bread


Now that I've been making the transition into a vegan diet, baking is posing a new challenge. Most of my friends will attest to the fact that I do not back down from a challenge. Learn Finnish? Bring it on. Learn German in Finnish? Ok, then. Make an entire buffet spread for my moving out party that is vegan and everyone will love? Done and done.

The menu of this particular party included homemade pita chips, a lentil and carrot curry dip, this zucchini bread adapted from Hell Yeah It's Vegan (I used less sugar but more oil), peanut butter and cocoa squares (I would have taken a picture if these weren't eaten so fast!), amongst other basics (veggies and fruit, etc).

Most people did not realize there was zucchini in this bread. People knew they liked it and kept asking me what it was, but were shocked to hear that there were vegetables inside. Something good for you? Ok, there is a lot of sugar in this recipe, so I won't go calling it 'health food', but it's a nice treat this time of year. Doesn't come close to my mom's zucchini bread (she makes dozens of mini loaves to give away every year and everyone loves it), but at least this version is vegan!

I still had quite a bit leftover, however, and ate the rest for breakfast with a little plain soy yogurt and fruit. But afterwards I got lots of ideas how to reuse leftover zucchini bread.... toasted with agave syrup drizzled ontop....layered in a cake..... with raisins....




Since zucchini is in season (or at least was about 2 weeks ago when I had this party), I had bought plenty of it. One large zucchini made two large loaves. Since this bread is made from a batter-like consistency, it's important to use a loaf pan, oiled and floured for easy removal.

2 1/2 cups grated zucchini
2 cups flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (you may substitute 1/2 cup of applesauce for half of the oil if you have it- I did not)
5 tbs ground flaxseed mixed in with one cup boiling water
1 tbs (rkl) baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

1. Add ground flax seed to boiling water and take off the stove. Let steep. Meanwhile, grate the zucchini.
2. Add oil and sugars, zucchini and mix well.
3. Sift together the dry ingredients and mix well into the wet.
4. Bake on 175C for about 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment