Monday, January 4, 2010

A new project for 2010

I was recently inspired to write a more focused food blog about the ethnic recipes I'm often trying. The 'Julie/Julia' movie dramatized the true story about an ambitious woman determined to learn Julia Childs French cooking in one year. However, as a vegetarian, boning a duck isn't whatsoever appealing to me. Furthermore, French cooking has a lot of prohibitive barriers, such as difficulty of technique (not that I don't enjoy a challenge) and many expensive ingredients not available everywhere in the world (I currently live in Helsinki, Finland).

My challenge is to write a blog that covers authentic ethnic recipes from each country in the world- vegetarian ones at that. Not that I don't have my favorites already, including Indian, Thai, Chinese, Ethiopian, Morroccan and occassionally some seafood recipes from my hometown of Annapolis, Maryland, USA, where the blue crab and oysters reign supreme.

Being rather indecisive at times, I started my other blog, 'Make Yourself' as an all inclusive blog that outlines any DIY, crafts and cooking/baking that I attempted. Anything from cleaning out the plumbing, hanging a shelf, making hats, baking cookies, and yoga/meditation.... all things that I'm determined to conquer.

Therefore, I will most likely follow recipes in alphabetical order, starting naturally with Afghanistan, which is similar to many middle eastern recipes that I am already familiar with. When possible, I will have the help of someone that knows the recipes, either in making or tasting. Luckily in Helsinki, there exist many ethnic grocers, though not all speak either Finnish or English, and if Finnish is the lingo franco, some ingredients may not be so easily translated. This is part of the challenge of course!

If you have any questions or comments on how I can improve this blog or my recipes, I am more than happy to hear them!!

Good eats everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment