Sunday, March 14, 2010

Cloudberry and Lingonberry Custard Pie


I literally dreamed this pie up Friday night. Maybe I was hungry. Maybe Finland is finally getting under my skin. Maybe I just needed to have my fix of sweetness.... Whatever the reason, it was still in my head after I woke up. After I had brunch at Fanny Goes to Hollywood on Bulevardi, I was all the more inspired to do some cooking of my own.
  • Basic pie crust
  • 2.5 dl cooking cream
  • 1.5 dl milk
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 2 dl sugar
  • 1 tbs vanilla sugar
  • pinch of orange zest
  • 1.5 dl lakkahillo (cloudberry jam)
  • 100 g puolukka (lingonberries) dusted in flour
  1. Bake the pie crust at 175C for about 15 minutes.
  2. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla sugar, and orange zest.
  3. Heat cloudberry jam in a small pan until it becomes runny.
  4. Fold in warm jam into egg mixture.
  5. Pour egg and jam mixture into pre-baked pie crust.
  6. Sprinkle lingonberries all over the pie.
  7. Bake for about 45 minutes or until set.
This turned out well, although a little more egg-y and a little less sweet than I had hoped. I think I will try this recipe again, using more sugar, or more jam (or more of both), and perhaps some orange flavored cream cheese, to make it a hybrid between a custard and a cheesecake. In my dream of this recipe, I also melted some white chocolate and lined the pie crust with it once it had cooled. During execution of the recipe, I wanted to keep things simple and practical, so I omitted the white chocolate- maybe next time. We'll see how it goes. I'm always up for some experimentation!

No comments:

Post a Comment